Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Culture and Tube Food

For many of you who read my facebook, I feel like going a bit in depth about a post I just made. Sometimes when I explain American concepts to my host dad, I feel a bit like I'm explaining something from the muggle world to Arthur Weasley.
  Take tonight at dinner, for example. The bananas my host dad bought for me turned black from being super ripe, and he was jokingly chastising me for not eating them. I said, (in Russian), "Well, we could make bread out of them."
  He looked at me like I was some sort of alien.
"Bread?" he said, "what?"
I then explained, "When we have black bananas, my mom prepares bread with them. It's like a dessert."
He said, "You know how to do this witchcraft?" (Ok, he didn't say witchcraft, but keep listening)
I said, "I don't know how. But my mom does. I could email her."
Then he said, "Natasha! (to his wife) Can you make bread out of black bananas?!"
And Natasha dutifully replied, "Not today. I'm mad."
Doesn't skip a beat, that woman.

I also had a great time explaining the special stores that sell alcohol in Utah, and that many LDS people don't drink wine, tea, beer, alcohol in general, or coffee. ( "But why?" )

I hope he's getting as much out of me staying here as I am getting out of staying here.

Side note: I really like eating food out of a tube while I am here. It makes me feel more like a cosmonaut. Our sauces come in tubes. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment